This is the privacy statement for the website www.emsoundscapes.co.uk which is run and provided by Soundscapes in the Early Modern World (‘the network’, 'we', 'us', 'our'). Soundscapes in the Early Modern World is an AHRC-funded research network.
We will only use the personal data gathered over this website as set out in this statement. Here, you will find information on how we use your personal data, the purposes for which your personal data is used, who we share it with, and what control and information rights you may have.
i. Summary of our processing activities
The following summary provides you with an overview of the processing activities that are undertaken on our website. More detailed information is available under the indicated sections below.
• When you visit our website, only limited personal data will be processed to provide you with the website itself (see iii).
• If you join the network, personal data will be processed within the scope of the membership (see iv, v and vi).
• We never disclose your personal data to third parties other than those who are acting as contracted agents for the network (see ix). Depending upon your internet provider, personal data may be disclosed to third parties (see xi) and they might be located outside your country of residence; potentially, different data protection standards may apply (see xii). We have implemented appropriate safeguards to secure your personal data (see xiii) and we retain your personal data only for as long as is necessary (see xiii).
• Under the legislation applicable to you, you may be entitled to exercise certain rights with regard to the processing of your personal data (see xv).
Personal Data: information that relates to a person who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier (a name, an identification number, location data, or an online identifier).
Processing: any operation which is performed on personal data (collection, recording, organisation, structuring, storage, adaptation or any kind of disclosure or other use).
iii. Basic use of the website
When you visit our website, we may automatically collect additional information about you. This information will contain personal data only in limited cases and only information that is automatically recognised by our server. The data will be:
• the website from which you have been directed to our website
• the date and time of your visit to our website
• the device type, screen resolution and browser version use to visit our website
• your internet service provider
• information on your operating system, including language settings
• information on the specific pages you have visited on our website
We use this information only to help us to provide an effective service (e.g. to adapt our website to the needs of your device or to allow you to log in to our website), and to collect broad demographic information for anonymised, aggregated use.
The personal data automatically collected is necessary for us to provide the website, Article 6 sec. 1 sent. 1 lit. b GDPR, and for our legitimate interest to guarantee the website’s stability and security, Article 6 sec. 1 sent. 1 lit. f GDPR.
Personal data that is collected automatically is anonymized immediately. Any personally identifiable information is erased.
iv. Registration for our services
Our website offers an online form to join the network. When using our services, we process information (such as your name, country and email address) that is provided by registering as a member.
For this, the legal basis is Article 6 sec. 1 sent. 1 lit. b GDPR
Your personal data is, in the absence of exceptions mentioned below, retained for as long as your user account is used. After deletion of your account, your personal data will be erased one month later. Statutory storage obligations or the need for legal actions that may arise from misconduct within the services can lead to a longer retention of your personal data. In this case, we will inform you.
v. Information about the specific uses that require registration
Upon joining the network, your email will be added to a mailing list to keep you up to date with news of the network. This processing is based on Article 6 sec. 1 sent. 1 lit. b.]. The legal basis for this processing is Article 6 sec. 1 sent. 1 lit. a GDPR. You can unsubscribe from this service by opting out via the link provided in each email newsletter.
vi. Automated decision making
We do not use your personal data for any automated decision making. This means there are no legal effects concerning you or that significantly affect you.
For statistical analyses we use Google Analytics to collect information about the use of this site. The legal basis for this processing is Art. 6 sec. 1 sent. 1 lit. f GDPR and represents our legitimate interest to analyse our website’s traffic to improve the user’s experience and to optimise the website.
Google Analytics is a web analytics service provided by Google LLC, 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA ('Google'). On our behalf Google will use the information generated by a cookie for the purpose of evaluating your use of the website, compiling reports on website activity and providing other services relating to website activity and internet activity in connection with the use of the website.
We have activated the IP-anonymisation in the Google Analytics service; your IP address will be truncated within the area of member states of the European Union or other parties to the Agreement in the European Economic Area. Only in exceptional cases will the whole IP address be first transferred to a Google server in the USA and truncated there. The IP-address your browser conveys in Google Analytics will not be associated with any other data held by Google.
viii. Third party content and social media plug-ins
1. YouTube and SoundCloud
We use YouTube and SoundCloud to play videos and podcasts directly from our website. This processing is based on Article 6 sec. 1 sent. 1 lit. f GDPR and represents our legitimate interest to improve your website experience.
Your browser will directly communicate with
• YouTube, LLC, 901 Cherry Ave., San Bruno, CA 94066. USA.
• SoundCloud Limited, Rheinsberger Str. 76/77, 10115, Berlin. Germany
2. Links to third party websites
ix: Information sharing
Your personal data will only be disclosed to a third party to the extent necessary to ensure delivery of emails to our members. Legal basis for the transfer of your personal data is Article 6 sec. 1 sent. 1 lit. b and f GDPR and represents our legitimate interest to implement our general terms and conditions of business or any other agreements concluded with you.
JiscMail, Jisc, 2nd Floor, City Quadrant, 11 Waterloo Square, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 4DP
JiscMail manages our electronic mailing list on our behalf. Consequently, we share with them the name and email of members only. We do not share any other personal data with third parties.
x. Cross border data transfers
Within the scope of our information sharing activities set out above, your personal data may be transferred to other countries (including countries outside the EEA); these countries may have different data protection standards from your country of residence. Data processed in a foreign country may be subject to foreign laws and accessible to foreign governments, courts, law enforcement, and regulatory agencies. We will endeavour to take reasonable measures to maintain an adequate level of data protection in the event of your personal data being shared with such countries.
In the case of a transfer outside of the EEA, this transfer is safeguarded by either Privacy Shield or EU Model Clauses.
We have taken reasonable security measures to protect against the loss, misuse and alteration of personal data under our control. For example, our security and privacy policies are periodically reviewed and enhanced as necessary and only authorised personnel have access to personal data. Whilst we cannot ensure or guarantee that loss, misuse or alteration of information will never occur, we use all reasonable efforts to prevent it, given that submission of information over the internet is never entirely secure. We cannot guarantee the security of information you submit via our website whilst it is in transit over the internet and any such submission is at your own risk.
xii. Data retention
We keep our processing activities with respect to your personal data as limited as possible. In the absence of specific retention periods set out in this policy, your personal data will be retained only for as long as we need it to fulfil the purpose for which it was collected and, if applicable, as long as required by statutory retention requirements.
xiii. Your rights
Under the legislation, you may be entitled to exercise some or all of the following rights:
• require (1) information as to whether your personal data is retained and (2) access to and/or duplicates of your retained personal data, including the purposes of the processing, the categories of personal data concerned, and the data recipients as well as potential retention periods;
• request rectification, removal or restriction of your personal data, because, for example, (1) it is incomplete or inaccurate, (2) it is no longer needed for the purposes for which it was collected, (3) the consent on which the processing was based has been withdrawn;
• refuse to provide and withdraw your consent to the processing of your personal data at any time. This is without impact to data processing activities that have taken place before any such withdrawal;
• object on grounds relating to your particular situation, that your personal data shall be subject to processing. In this case, please provide us with information about your particular situation. After the assessment of the facts presented by you we will either stop processing your personal data or present you our compelling legitimate grounds for an ongoing processing; and/or
• take legal actions in relation to any potential breach of your rights regarding the processing of your personal data, as well as to lodge complaints before the competent data protection regulators.
• require (1) to receive the personal data concerning you, which you have provided to us, in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format and (2) to transmit those data to another controller without hindrance from our side; where technically feasible you shall have the right to have the personal data transmitted directly from us to another controller;
• not to be subject to any automated decision making, including profiling (automatic decisions based on data processing by automatic means, for the purpose of assessing several personal aspects) which produce legal effects on you or affects you with similar significance.
You may exercise the rights referred to above, or pose any questions, or make any complaints regarding our data processing by contacting us under the contact details set out below.
xiv. Contacting us
The information you provide when contacting us will be processed to handle your request and will be erased when your request is completed. Alternatively, we will restrict the processing of the respective information in accordance with statutory retention requirements.
xv Amendments to this statement
We reserve the right to change this statement from time to time by updating our website respectively. Please visit the website regularly to check our data policy. This statement was last updated on 14 February 2019.